Please support us as we raise money for the Pablove Foundation!!



Sunday, March 21, 2010

Perspective

See the cute kid to the right over there in that pic with me?  That's my son, Grayson.  He and my daughter Taryn are the most precious things in the world to me.  I need them like I need air.  Their happiness lifts me up like nothing else I've ever experienced.  If I'm unhappy, they can reach down and drag me up out of the depths of  despair like absolutely nothing else in the world.  Their success is my happiness, their happiness is my success.  I know any parent reading this right now understands EXACTLY what I mean. 

Last night my son asked if I could snuggle with him as he went to sleep... a wonderful, sweet request that made me smile and feel really freakin' good.  Grayson is quite a cuddley kid, and I held him as he lay there in his fire engine pajamas, moving and settling in... I listened as his breathing slowed down, became regular, more deep....relaxed... and then.....he was gone to sleep.  I held him for a while longer, cherishing the moment.  I thought of how some parents who have lost their children to cancer would give absolutely anything for a close moment like that.  I know that there are parents whose kids are struggling with cancer right now, this very moment.... those parents must fear nothing more than losing moments like that forever.  A parent's most natural desire is to fulfill their child's request, to make them happy, to satisfy their needs.... in good times, and most certainly in bad times. 

Imagine being the parent of a child who should be healthy, who should be jumping, running, playing, bouncing, drawing, ..... but that beautiful, innocent child is stuck in a hospital with an IV in their arm, sick and unsure, and looking to you to ease the pain of their experience.  As a parent, what could be more natural than to try to introduce things into their experience that would allow kids to do KID stuff... even in as they live in a hospital?  That's exactly why I'm interested in supporting Pablove, and it's why I hope you do as well, through donations to our fundraiser ride - because funds from the Pablove Foundation go directly to helping cancer kids PLAY.  Isn't that what kids should be doing?  Pablove helps to bring art, music, recreation, and fun to the hospital in the form of a cancer unit play room!  When I read that in their mission statement, it spoke to the parent in me and it was over.  I knew we'd ride on behalf of the Pablove Foundation. 

Because the Castelaz family was willing to share the experience of their son, Pablo, and his fight with cancer through the Pablove Ride Across America and the Pablove Foundation, I have a strenghtened perspective.  I appreciate moments like the one last night with my son, who is Pablo's age, more than ever because of their experience.  Perspective is good. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment