Please support us as we raise money for the Pablove Foundation!!



Thursday, April 8, 2010

TdR for Pablove - Day 6



After driving between Glacier National Park and West Yellowstone on the day prior, we'll be starting this long day with a rest day behind us... I wonder if we'll feel better after 12 hours in the car, or worse?  Well at least our muscles will get a break!  The plan is to ride 126 miles through two national parks, Yellowstone & Grand Teton, between the Wyoming towns of West Yellowstone and Jackson.  This day will be special for me in particular because when I was 13 and flyfishing consumed my every waking thought, my dad's cousin took me to fish the famous waters of this area... the Madison, Yellowstone, Armstrong Spring Creek, Henry's Fork of the Snake.... but I was so into fishing that I barely even noticed the scenery!  Can you believe that I actually slept in the car once as we drove past the Tetons and through Yellowstone? I can remember Jim telling me that I might want to look out the window because people travelled a heck of a long way to see the views that I was ignoring!  Who can care about or appreciate life's most precious treasures when you're 13 anyway?  Well now that I'm 38... I care.  Believe me, I appreciate!  And I can't think of a way to more fully enjoy the mountain scenery than through cycling.  So we'll be riding mostly rolling terrain, with no major climbs and most of the uphill sections just being gentle grades of 1-2%.  That's good, because starting the next riding day in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park, we won't have much of that!  We'll roll past the Madison river in the western section of Yellowstone for about 15 easy miles where the bison and elk are easily seen alongside the roads!  After that we'll split off southward along the Firehole river, where we'll pass through a geothermal area which has the famous Old Faithful Geyser and a bunch of cool hot spring including the colorful Grand Prismatic & Morning Glory springs.  After about 45 miles we'll pass through the West Thumb area with its numerous lakes as we head towards the south end of the park and make our way towards the Tetons!  Once on the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Parkway, we'll pick up the Snake river and follow it all the way to Jackson.  By this time I think we'll begin to see the Teton Range as we ride.  One of the most famous views that I'm looking forward to seeing in person is that of the Moulton Barn, the last remaining bit of an early 1900's western homestead near the Teton Range.  It's also one of the most photographed spots on the planet, but I want to see it nonetheless!  This day is gonna kinda long, not terribly hard, but epic and amazing because of the world-class scenery!  Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment